Tuesday, October 7, 2008

Off to the Mountains

I bet you thought our trip to Cherai Beach was fun, huh? Well guess what, it only got better from there! Achen and Kochamma took us for an overnight trip to Munnar, a small tea plantation town in the mountains along the eastern border of Kerala. Munnar was breathtakingly beautiful and also cold! I don’t remember the last time, I was actually woken up at night from being too cold. We had a great time at the hotel relaxing, visiting a wildlife reserve for tahr (a threatened species of goat), and a tour through a tea factory.

The retreat (considered phase two of our in-country orientation) was really helpful to all of us. Achen has a knack for putting things into perspective. And simply knowing that all the volunteers are struggling with something at their sites, some more than others, is comforting. My challenge is trying to figure out how exactly I can be of the most use here. While the retreat was refreshing, I was really excited to get back to CMS to catch up with the guys and wear my mundu again to breakfast.

Tea plantains from a moving car.
More tea...
Homes in the valley of Munnar.
A tahr.

2 comments:

  1. I love reading of your adventures. I just thought I'd let you know you have a loyal reader...well, I'm sure you have many of them, but one more can't hurt.

    You're great at posting on a regular basis. It's very exciting.

    Hope all is well! Peace!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I didn't know you had a blog! You have no idea how much this excites me! I read your past entries and it sounds like you're having an amazing and unforgettable experience! I miss you!

    ~Beeeeeeeca

    ReplyDelete