Sunday, May 4, 2008

The Master of Awkward

Only once before last night did it really "hit me" that I'm graduating. More than that, it's that I'm leaving Schreiner. I know that my little diploma is a big deal, but when you know you're going to a foreign country where it doesn't really affect what you're doing (although a degree is required), and replacing it with a Masters four years laster, it's just not that exciting.

That is a big deal to me is leaving this place. I came in as such a different person than I am leaving. I've made so many friends and been through ups and downs with them. I really do wonder how many I will keep in contact with. I think it will be especially difficult in my case as I won't be able to text or call someone just to say, "Hey." 

Last night was the 1st Annual Campus Ministry Banquet and Dance. Confession: I went mostly because I thought it would be Awkward Fest 2008. However, it was actually quite a bit of fun. Yours truly was the DJ, which I found stressful at first because people are so opinionated about their musical taste. I also take my music pretty personally so I can be a little defensive about it!

So, I got to dance with an old girlfriend for a couple songs and we shared our thoughts about graduating. It was then that I realized how sad I am to not see some of these people again. In her case it isn't as big of a deal because this fall she's starting at the seminary I will most likely attend a year later. But there are a lot of people that I wouldn't necessarily call to hang out but I enjoy seeing them around and at social events. It's those kind of people I'll miss. 

I am excited about graduation as my parents, bother, sister-in-law, and nephew, dad's sisters, another aunt, uncle, and cousin, and a great aunt and great uncle. Full house! I think it will be a lot of fun and because I didn't have a high school graduation (because I graduated a year early), it's even that much more exciting. Oh, and we're also going out to one of my favorite Kerrville restaurants.

Well, I should go work on my last paper of my college career... WHOA, weird. Who am I kidding, I'll wait till tonight!

No comments:

Post a Comment